Saturday, March 26, 2011

Family Memories

DaNae's Memories
I was just 2 and a half when Lori died... but I have a few memories of her. I remember I used to sleep with her at night in the Rainbow room. One night Rhett came in to tell me a scary story about Bigfoot that made me cry... she got really mad at him and told him to get out. I remember her cuddling with me and telling me everything was going to be alright.

She also taught me my numbers and colors... I don't remember much of that, just that purple was her favorite color, so it was mine too!

I remember being at her funeral... and being so confused. A few years later when I understood what had happened, I spent a lot of time crying and praying. Every night I would ask Heavenly Father to let Lori know how much I missed her. And I know He did. I have felt her presence many times in my life. Even though I did not get to know her that well during this life... I am so grateful that I have all the time in the world to get to know her in the next life. I feel like I have become so close with her since she has passed away. I know that she has held, cherished and loved these new babies that have come into our family. I felt her presence many times when I first had Macey... those memories are very dear to me.

I have a picture of Lori on our bookshelf in the front room... I have tried many times to put it somewhere else... out of Macey's grasp, but it always finds its way back to the front room... where we see her everyday. Strangely, it's the only thing Macey does not throw down on the ground.

Happy Birthday Lori!

I love and miss you!!
DaNae

Rhett's Memories
I have a lot of memories of Lori. It has been fun to think back on all the fun times we had together. I remember climbing out of the bathroom window to get onto the roof and then jumping off the roof to the trampoline. Remember the diving board thing we had set up by the trampoline? How did any of us survive?

Lori was two years ahead of me in school. When she was a senior I was a sophmore and pretty worried that I would get picked on by all of the senior guys. Everybody knew I was Lori's little brother. I did get picked on but Lori always came to my defense. She was liked by everyone. She would let me hang out with her and her friends so I got to know most of them really well.

Lori and I drove dads old orange and white truck to school. It had the cattle rack on the back and no mufflers. It was pretty sweet. We also drove the old gold car that had the "sheep run on grass" bumper sticker. What a boat. We also rode the bus a lot and had to walk 1/2 mile to catch the bus.

I remember going to Lori's apartment when she was going to Ricks college. She had been sick for a little while and had lost her hair. Her roommates loved her so much. She fit right in and was always having a good time. I asked her to go to my Senior prom since I thought she was the coolest girl I knew. Natalie went with us . We took grandpas cadillac. I don't remember where we went to eat but I remember dancing and having a great time. Neither of us ever thought it was weird to be on a date together. I cherish that memory.

There are a lot of memories to hang on to. Lori passed away on May 11th. I left on my mission November 11th. I remember that summer coming home late one night and walking up the stairs to the house. I went and laid on the trampoline and stared up at the stars. The veil was thin that night as I spoke to Lori and told her about my mission call and how nervous and excited I was. I talked about some of the memories that we had made and told her how much I loved and missed her. She was one of my best freinds.

Last week I had a similar experience as I drove to work. I felt her presense there in my truck. I knew she was sitting in the seat next to me. I talked to her for quite a while. People where probably wondering what my problem was because I was crying and talking to myself. I told her that I missed her and what a big influence she has been in my life. She is concered for each one of us. She lived a wonderful, obedient, and happy life, even though it was short. She makes me want to strive for excellence, to reach my fullest potential and to follow the savior as she did. I love you Lori. Thank you for your freindship, love and example. "Familes are forever"

Rhett

Heather's Memories
I don't remember very much about Lori, but I do remember her making cookies all of the time. We would try and steal the dough and she would hit our hands with the spoon. And speaking of spoons, she would throw spoons at us, and she would also sing into her spoon, and dance around. Some of my favorite memories are of her presence that I feel so strong at times. The one time that stands out in my mind is after I had Lindsey, I was in my room changing her diaper, and I felt her there so strongly, that I actually started talking to her, and telling her about my life. She has always been there for me when I have needed her and been a calming influence in my life. Happy Birthday Lori! I love you!

Heather

Shalean's Memories
Dear Lori,
I can't believe that it is the big 40 this year! We are 10 years apart cause I celebrated my 30th this year. I want you to know that thinking of you started out my day today. I was lost in my thoughts as I was driving and running some errands this morning of how you have not even met Rick. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary today. I have a special memory of being in the temple and being sealed for eternity and feeling your presence very strongly. Not only did we form a our new family that day, but we celebrated your life! I know that my girls have shared some sweet memories with you already before coming to us in this world. I want them to know Aunt Lori and to be able to recognize you, so your picture in our home is priceless.
My memories of you were more of you being a second mother to me. I loved when you would make cookies and coffee cake. When you tried out for Miss Bonneville you were often caught practicing your dance in the living room. I loved that! You were so beautiful and I just knew you were going to win!! You loved us so much and stood up for your little sissies when Justin and Lance were picking on us. Me an Heather would just sit back and smile!!
I remember riding down the S road with you on a snomobile and hitting a patch of ice and sliding on our sides the whole way down the hill. THe first thing you said was if I was okay and then after I said yes you started laughing your head off! And I knew everything was going to be alright. ANd I think I even muttered a laugh or two in between my pounding heart!!
I loved to be in the room when you were listening to music. "Cherish" was my favorite song that you sang constantly!
We've had times when all the sisters are together and we stop and know that someone is missing! You have left powerful memories with us and we love them!! Thank you for being such an incredible big sister! Happy Birthday! All my love,
Shalean

Natalie's Memories
Since it was my idea to post some memories of Lori on her birthday...I better carry it through. I scanned one of her pictures that I have and I can't post it on here. Darn it. This will be funto read about those sweet memories from everyone.
Lori and I shared a room for many many years so we were close. I remember playing "house" in our bedroom like every day. Rhett was always the Dad, Lori was the Mom and I was their daughter. Sometimes Lori and I were both the mom's and we had many baby dolls that were the kids. The rocking love seat was the car and the little bathroom by the kitchen was the elevator. We would play for hours on end.
I remember playing outside a lot too. We would pretend that our bicycles were motorcycles and we would put Mom and Dad's snowmobile helmets on and load the bikes in the back of Dad's truck and pretend to drive soemwhere and then un load them and ride. We also had many rodeos in the horse corrals, and would ride horses a lot too. Lori rode littlet and I rode rocket. (I know my spelling is pretty bad, so bear with me.)
As we got older I remember on Sundays we would lay on our bedroom floor and listen to Casey Cassem's American Top 40 radio program. We had our notebooks out and would number 1-40 and write down all the songs to #1. We would bet on what song would be #1 for the week. Lori loved music and loved to sing. She would sing along to all the songs.
I remember when she got her drivers liscense we would drive past Leni Burnham's house about a million times a day just to get a look at him if he might be outside. She was so wipped.

Lori would write in her journal EVERY night. Sometimes I would get so mad at her becasue she wouldn't turn out the light so I could go to sleep until she had written in her journal, read her scriptures, and layed out the clothes she was going to wear the next day. She would often try on outfit after outfit to find the very best one to wear. I knew that I could wine all I wanted to... I learned to just deal with it. I would prop my head up and would just watch her.

I was always amazed at how much she read. She always had her nose in some book. I never liked to read very much and it would annoy me. I remember when we would have to take baths together and I would have that big pink back scrubbing brush and would pretend that we were pocahontas in our canoe and the brush was my paddle. She would just sit there and READ her book while inthe bath tub!! I wanted her to play with me. I remember one time she read that huge thick 1,000 pages or so book called Sacajawea. I couldn't believe she actually read it in like 2 days!!
Lori had a really fun sense of humor and a great personality. She knew how to have fun and was often seen being silly a lot. She was very smart in school and always got good grades. I remember I loved Saturday nights when Lori would bring her friends to our house and watch "saturday night live". Their favorite was the "Church Lady." I loved watching them laugh and be silly.
I loved jumping on the trampoline with Lori and doing "herkies" for hours!!
She loved to run track and was a powerful runner. I remember going to watch her in many track meets.
I wanted to be like her, so in Jr. High I signed up to run in this "fun Run" that was like 2-3 miles. Mom and Lori and some of the other kids came to watch me. The gun went off and I started hauling...trying to beat everyone. But soon I was very tired and everyone was passing me. I could not believe that stupid finish line was no where in site. I was DYING. Just as I thought that I would quit the race and walk back...Lori came jogging up beside me and said "don't give up Natalie...just stay beside me and I will bring you to the finish line...lets go nice and slow". As I ran steadily beside her I finally saw the finish line and finished the race. I always think of that as I have taken up running over the past couple of years. She is my wing-man...in every race I run. She brings me to every finish line.
I often wonder who she'd be today.... I wonder how many kids she would have of who she would have married...I wonder if we would live close by to each other and make peanut butter cookies for our kids every day. Lori LOVED peanut butter and she loved making cookies (like me).
I can't wait for the day that I'll see her again. I often dream of what that reunion will be like.
Happy 40th Birthday Sis. I love you!!

Natalie

Dad's Memories
I remember when your mother told me she thought she was expecting. We were so excited as we were sure it was the real thing this time as we had been through a disappointment before. I was a full time student at Ricks College and your mother was a stay at home soon to be mom. She spent a lot of time at her mothers while waiting when I was not at home. I remember the Sunday morning when I was awakened to tell me she thought it was time to go to the hospital. We placed a call to the Doctor and he told us when the contractions where three minutes apart to go to the hospital. We left a short time later. The hospital was going through a remodel at the time so the mothers in waiting rooms where just sheets hanging and all the women in each compartment all screaming and scaring your mother to death. When the time came and your mother was taken to the delivery room it was against the hospital policy to let anyone in the delivery room. We personally knew the Doctor and it was not crowed as it was Sunday so he let me into the delivery room for the birth. I watched as you were born into this world and as you changed from the purple color to a bright pink as you started to take your own breaths. It was a miracle and boy did you have a set of lungs to let us know you were very happy to come into the world. As you started in life you were a happy little girl that made all the heads turn to look at that cute little baby. You were not alone for to long as 16 months later you had a little brother to share your life and about every two years from then on you had another brother or sister to join you. I remember when you started to walk as we would sit on opposite sides of the living room and you would try and walk to us. You fell a few times as you ended up with a bruise on your forehead from falling against the chairs.As you started school you were very smart. When you were learning how to count we were practicing and after a little explanation you were able to count to a hundred with no mistakes. You loved your brothers and sisters and all of your cousins. You spent a lot of time hanging on the fence talking to your cousins until the fence was finally on the ground and you could just walk through. As you started junior high friends were very important to you and you picked very good ones all of the time.You loved Primary and really loved young women's. You enjoyed camping and being with people. As you started into high school things changed oh you still loved your family and friends but you found boys. You always talked about your favorite boy at the time. As you were in high school you started to have some health problems as you would loose control of your fingers and hands. Your handwriting was always so beautiful until the times you were having these issues. Later we found out that it was called Saint Vitus Dance or something like that. I remember you being in the Miss Bonneville Pageant, you were so beautiful. The picture that was taken with four generations of you your mother, your grandma Robertson and your great grandma Williams. After high school you were so excited to go to College and to room with your friends You had great room mates as we learned to love them. You always had to have a boy that you would be stalking or something like that. The rest of your life memories are a little hard. As your sickness came on and the way you faced it was a true inspiration to me. Your love for life, your love for family, your love of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I was with you the first time they did a bone marrow test which was so hard to watch. You were a trooper as you did not complain. It was hard to watch you go through Kemo and to loose your hair. You always had such beautiful hair but you took all in stride and never looked back. Even though you were sick we still had time to do thing together. I remember taking grandpa's boat and going to Blacktail and going boating. It was a great day when you were able to back to College you were so happy. I remember the day we made the decission to send you down to Salt Lake to see the doctors. This was the last day that I was able to talk to you face to face. I was at your side when you returned to Father in Heaven. I also know that you are very happy and working hard to do our Fathers work. I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of the Plan of Happiness of knowing where you are and the work you are doing. I long for the day when I can hold you in my arms once again. I am so grateful for the time you spent in our family and the things that I was able to learn from you.
I am proud to have known you, to learn from you, to have felt your spirit close by. Till we meet agian
Dad

Justin's Memories
Lori,

Wow, I can't believe how much I miss you. Your memory lives on and I am a better man because of you. The memories are still very vivid.

I remember my first big money maker was the "rainbow signatures" of all my school mates just like you did. The scheme lasted one Sunday afternoon and I never did make any money, but all of us had our rainbow signatures hanging in our rooms.

You were always such a good example to me. You were so smart and did so well in school. I always wanted to be like you and thought many times that I was just like my sister Lori. Running up and down the outside stairs and doing exercises in the family room was always so fun to watch. You were driven.

I loved it when you cooked. I could always count on dodging spoons as you threw them at the back of the head after I stole cookie dough. I loved the cookies, lemon bars, and the bear claws (or whatever those things were called).

It was so fun when your "gang" would scream up our drive way and park on the front lawn. You had so much fun with your friends and you knew how to always have fun. I will always remember the 70's and 80's hair and the sweet outfits that you wore, especially that purple hippy shirt.

You are an awesome big sister and always took such good care of your siblings. I remember sitting on the swing outside our house the morning you passed away. I was home because of split sessions and I went to the afternoon session. Delia and Syd were at our house helping clean things up when we got the call. I sat on the swing for hours it seemed, in shock and full of pain and questions. I remember feeling my Savior's love at that time and knowing that you had accomplished your mission on this earth. I remember making promises with my Heavenly Father at that time that I hope I have kept as I have grown. I want to be like my sister Lori.

I know you and Mom are side by side working (Will Mom ever not work?). You are touching and changing lives and showing others Christ's pure love. You were an amazing example of a Disciple of Christ while on this earth and I know you are only increasing in your capacities where you are now. I wish that my wife and kids could know you and love you as I do. I wish my kids could play with your kids and be better people because of knowing them. I know we will have those opportunities. I know that we will be together again if we fulfill the promises we have made to our Heavenly Father as you have done. Thank you for everything! I love you!

Justin   
Lance's Memories
Dear Lori, I can't believe it's been 25 years since you left us!!! I know you are in a much better place with mom and doing great things!! I often wonder what life would be like I'd you were still alive!! How many kids would you have? Where you would live? Who would you have married? I know things are for the better I really need a guardian angel!! I remember the day you left us, I was in school and you came to me in spirit to say goodbye to me and wrapped your arms around me!! That meant alot to me!! That's the type of person you were!! Very caring and loving never let things get you down!! I loved that in you!! I looked up to you so much!! You were a great example!! I remember when you would cook also, you were the best, always willing to share what you made but always throwing spoons at your brothers trying to sneak a bite before it was ready!! I also remember when you were sick and the Balls flew me you and mom and grandma to slc for a doctors appointment, I got to go because it was my birthday!! That was awesome!! I also remember when you were sick and how close you got with Danae, you were always together!! I want to thank you for the example you are to me!! Take care of mom too!! Thank you so much for watching over me and my family it means the world to me!! I will never forget you!!! You are awesome!!! Love, Lance

Clint's Memories
Lori,

I was very young when you left us, so i was not able to have as many experinces with you, but i do remember a few. I remember when you would make cookies. And I would watch my older brothers snagging cookie doe when you would turn your back. I joined in with them, but i wasn't as quick to get away before the spoons came flying. I miss those cookies!!!

I remember wearing your wig around the house a few times. Witch made me realize how strong you where, to where that itchy thing. But you where beautiful with or without it. I miss you much, but i now you and mom are enjoying each other.

Love you, Clint

No comments:

Post a Comment