Sunday, March 20, 2011

Life Sketch

Life Sketch of Lori Judy
Born April 2, 1967
Died May 11, 1987

Lori Judy, a cute name for a darling baby, was born on April 2, 1967, the first child of Lyle and Donean Judy.  Her mother was extremely worried about her being born on April Fool's Day buts she waited until the 2nd at 11:31 a.m. much to her Mother's relief.  She was a healthy 8 lb 2 oz and 19" long.

When Lori was a baby Lyle and Donean proudly put her in a snowsuit, snuggled her up in blankets, then stuffed the package in a sleeping bag and off they would go snowmobiling.  Grandpa Robertson jokingly said she'd never have any fun when she got bigger because she would have done everything when she was little.

Her newness as the only grandchild on the Robertson side soon wore off when 16 months later a brother, Rhett Lyle, was born on August 18, 1968, the beginning of a very close relationship.

The family moved to a new split level home in 1969 at the end of Crowley Road.  A year later on November 14, 1970 Natalie was born.  This was no longer an ordinary small family, there were enough kids now for a club.  These three imaginative youngsters created "The Club" complete with secret code.  When one of them would flush the toilet twice "The Club" would meet in the bathroom and decide what to do with the day:  play cars on rough and smooth roads, play hospital, play house, or make mud pies.

"The Club" continued to grow with each brother and sister added to the family.  Justin Rob made four on September 26, 1973, Lance Clifford was born on May 21, 1975, Shalean added her sparkle on January 13, 1977, Heather made an uneven three boys and four girls on August 23, 1979, Clint Ammon evened the score again with four and four on June 20, 1981, and DaNae was the frosting on October 31, 1984 making the total of nine active club members.

Lori loved to play the piano and would make up music across the piano and play for hours and hours.  She also loved school and was an excellent student.  She always pulled good grades and loved to read.  If she found an excellent book she would stay up at all hours and read the entire book in an evening.  This was evidenced when she graduated from Bonneville High School with honors in 1985.  While in school she was involved with many activities and was elected Senior Class Activity Leader, and was a candidate for Miss Bonneville.  She belonged to a secretarial co-op and worked in the afternoon for Dr. Raymond, Beehive Book, and Yost Office Systems.  Later at Ricks she worked in the Purchasing Department.

Donean remembered Lori running in a Jr. High track competition.  "When she crossed the finish line I cried.  At first I didn't know why then it struck me as I witnessed her inner strength and endurance." 

Lori's family meant a great deal to her.  Fond memories were made at the Judy Reunions on Clifford's Mountain.  Each year her loved cousins would swim, eat, play games, giggle a lot, talk about major and massive hunks "guys" and plan a midnight skinny dip which they never have carried off.  Cousins claim it was always Lori's idea but she was the first one asleep.

Lori loved the hikes they took.  On one particular hike to Big Elk Mountain, they got caught in a horrible rain storm.  Lori was concerned about everyone making it through the ordeal and kept asking everyone up and down the trail if they were ok and if they were going to make it.  Quitting was not in her vocabulary.

The fence between Doug and Terry's was a favorite meeting place for the cousins and still is today, as the kids spend many hours visiting.  Lori loved to visit with Delean, Teresa, and especially Bethia.  She recently wrote in her diary about what a good friend Bethia was and how much she relied on her to "unload."

Many fun and creative hours were spent in Grandma and Grandpa Robertson's basement finding new costumes and outfits for plays they made up.  It became a contest of skill to see who could get the best outfit to delight the grownups.

Lori loved to dance.  Her sister Shalean remembers, "it seemed like every day she would turn on some music and just dance.  Sometimes I would just get interested in her and just sit down on the couch and watch her dance away to the music.  She would also sing with it.  Then after doing that she would bake some cookies for us and then I knew she loved us and we loved her because she would bake us cookies." 

Heather says, "I love you very much.  If you were still here I would play games with you."

While Lori was sick in the last year, she spent a great deal of time with DaNae and Clint.  They would sit by the hour and play finger games, Lori taught DaNae her colors and shapes, read stories, and would color with Clint, in general just being a good sister and teacher.

Lori loved to swim and ride horses, and fell in love with Grandpa Robertson's horse Twister on a pack trip the family took one summer.  Snowmobiling this past winter with her family and boyfriend, Brian, was a big delight to her.  Boating excursions with the family was a highlight in her life also.

On an hours notice, Rhett and Lori accompanied Grandma and Grandpa Robertson and Tobe to Disneyland her senior year as part of her graduation present.  Lori was delighted with the ocean and was big-eyed at all the fun and make believe of Disneyland.  Tijuana with its poverty was depressive to the kids and made them appreciate home and its comforts.  Rhett still fears that he will have to serve his mission there.

Another trip to Canada with her family left a great impression on her mind as a grizzly bear stopped to eat in a garbage can next to their tent.  It sent campers in every direction.

One of Lori's most embarrassing experiences occurred at Jennie's Lake.  It seems she was just walking along the bank and fell in.  Campers around started calling to her asking if she was alright.  Sheepishly she crawled out assuring them all was not lost.

Lori's friends meant a great deal to her.  There were three couples in the ward, Bruce and Jeanette, Allison and Mark, and Lori and Kayle.  These couples spent a great deal of time together.  Lori said one time that this group had taught her how to have fun.

She loved girls camp and was the camp queen for her ward and stake.  She was awarded her Personal Progress medallion award early because she was so diligent in keeping her goals.

"The Club" with original members met at Bonneville Senior Ball this year, this time in the form of a double date.  Lori and Rhett doubled with Natalie and her date and it was reported that all had a grand time.

Lori and Rhett enjoyed being the M.C.'s for the Robertson Clan Cloggers as they performed.
Lori:  Rhett you're so smart and going to graduate this year, use the word fascinate in a sentence.
Rhett would look at her in all his genius and reply:  My coat has nine buttons but I can only fasten eight.

When Lori was a Jr. she became sick and required home bound school for a couple of months.  Her health got better for a time but when she was a freshman at Ricks College she contracted Acute Limphoblastic Leukemia.  Hospitalizations, in and out with painful infections, injections, and tests never left her discouraged for long.  She had a fighting, vivacious love of life.

Lori, like most cancer patients, lost her hair.  On their way home from Salt Lake after one of the treatments, they passed a convertible for the second or third time in the uneven and unpredictable traffic, Lori caught their attention and waved at them, then ripped off her wig.  The shocked look on their faces and the sheer humor of the event lightened the trip and the devastation of losing her beautiful thick hair.

Natalie writes:  "It wasn't just all a party, we had some special experiences.  Your disease is the greatest learning experience I have ever had.  The trial was yours, you took it and suffered a lot for the great reward you have probably received.  Always remember how much I love you, and I am anxious to be with you again."

There were five great months fro December to May when she enjoyed remission from her disease.  She enjoyed her last year at Ricks College, writing missionaries, dating, and sharing the "good times" with her roommates.

She loved life but like her brother Lance said, "I guess Heavenly Father really needed you to do something.  I want you to remember me like your good brother.  I hope you do."

Justin added, "I wish you could still be here on the earth, but I know you're a lot better off in heaven...While you're up in heaven, convert a lot of people and just keep on being a sweet spirit like you were when you were on the earth."

Lyle wanted Lori to know of his thanks and love.  "Thank you Lori for the great times we had in the last 20 years.  Thanks for the long special talks together and the learning experiences we had together.  I look forward to the time when we can have our happy reunions again."

"Lori and I would giggle and laugh and had such a great time on her first visits to the hospital."  Donean recalls.  "I felt that we were building memories to last us.  Our lives are so full by just having an association with her.  If we had a true perspective of eternity this time would probably be a matter of seconds."

Rhett summed it up pretty well, "Lori, I love you so very much and will cherish the memories that we had.  I am anxious to be with you an talk with you again.  Heavenly Father has a lot of work for you and Cheryl to do.  I know that you will do the best job.  I will always remember that families are forever."

Lori became gravely ill within a couple of hours.  There was no time now to worry about details.  This is a letter we believe that Lori would like to have written if she had the time.

Dear Family and Friends,
I had to leave you suddenly and I didn't get a chance to say good-bye.  I want you all to know I love you dearly.

I often thanked you as we went along life but there have been times lately when I didn't feel well.  I didn't understand completely what the drugs and treatments were doing to me and my personality.  I often got cross and couldn't understand what was happening to me.  Forgiving and forgiveness have become an important part of my life in the last year and I would hope that you would forgive me if I have offended any.

The last year has brought many experiences I'll always cherish.  The loving care and diligence of Grandma Robertson, Grandpa Robertson, Grandma and Grandpa Judy, Tobe, Mom and Dad, Marjean, Janet, Bethia, Kaye and her girls, Natalie, and all the others who came to spend time with me in that boring hospital.  Foot and back rubs that calmed me and brought so much relaxation, how I adore the hours of attention and fatigue spent in my behalf.

Leon and Linda, Kay, Aunt Mae, and Uncle Merrill, Becky and Renita, Aunt Gen...All of you helped the hours and often painful experiences by opening your homes, sharing beds and meals, doing laundry, and often at the most inopportune times for you.  Thank you and how I love you and the support to myself and my family.

May the spirit of God rest upon your souls with peace and love.

I love you all -- Mom, Dad, Rhett, Natalie, Justin, Lance, Shalean, Heather, Clint, and DaNae, family, friends, ward members.  You've helped to make my life complete.

All my love,
Lori


Pain stayed with me so long today
I stamped my foot and said, "Be on your way."
And startled at the look he wore
"I who have been your teacher?
All you know of understanding, sympathy, love, and patience
I have taught you...shall I go?"
He spoke the truth this strange unwelcomed guest,
I watched him leave and knew that he was wise.
He left a heart grown tender in my breast,
He left a far clearer vision in my eyes,
I dried my tears and lifted up a song,
Even for one who had tortured me so long.
-Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment